Sunday, January 11, 2009

A big sister is born. . .

Bella has definitely embraced her role as big sister. She has a lot of love for her little brother and is quite the helper to me. When it's diaper changing time, she likes to push her step stool over to the changing table so that she can get me a diaper and then hold Graydon's hand during the change. He's still not the greatest fan of diaper changes, so she will sometimes rub his head and tell him it's OK. Very sweet. I haven't really noticed much jealousy yet, but there are times when I am feeding Graydon and Bella wants me to do something with her and I just can't. She's learning some lessons in patience. As soon as I'm done with Graydon though, I really try to give her some undivided attention. So far, I think that things are going as well as can be expected.

Here are some photos of Bella and Graydon from the week.
We had Graydon's five-day check-up on Monday. Everything looks great! We were pretty shocked by his weight. He was 7 lbs. 1 oz. at birth. By the time we left the hospital on Friday, he was 6 lbs. 12 oz. This appt. was three days later and his new weight was 7 lbs. 8 oz. That's a 12 oz. gain in 3 days! Our doctor said that for breastfed babies, they usually like to see them regain their birthweight by two weeks. Clearly, that is not an issue for Graydon!

Bella took this photo from Graydon's first doctor visit.Daddy giving Graydon his first bottle. I initially intended to wait on giving Graydon a bottle until he was 2-3 weeks old, but by the time he was 5 days old, I really needed a break. Up until that point, he would not take any pacifiers. . . he just wanted me. When it started to become painful for me, I knew that we needed to give him a bottle. So I pumped. I am very relieved that he can go back and forth with no problem. We'll probably give him one bottle a day now. This also gives Andy the chance to feed Graydon once in a while.
And, we can't forget about Bella. Before Graydon was even born, she told me several times how much she wanted to feed the baby. She's a natural little mommy.We said goodbye to Kristen on Tuesday. That evening, Andy had two meetings at church. I was on my own for the first time. It went well. Bella fell asleep on the couch at 7pm and Graydon was pretty laidback as well.Here is Graydon in one of his rare awake moments during the day. He seems to have gotten his days and nights flipped. He sleeps like a rock during the day. At night, he'll still sleep, but it's a little more restless and he doesn't always fall asleep right away after each feeding. Some nights have been better than others. Since he is such a great day sleeper, I feel pretty confident that, once we get the days and nights straightened out, he'll become a good night sleeper. Hopefully.Here are a couple of unsuccessful attempts to keep him awake during the day.

Attempt #1: Prop him up on the couch. Attempt #2: Tummy time on the activity mat.I'll keep trying. Eventually, we'll get there.

Here he is awake in my arms one evening. He seems to begin to perk up around 6pm. . . just as I'm starting to feel pretty tired. Bella posing for a picture. Now that Bella sees us taking so many photos of Graydon, she actually wants us to take her picture too. I guess having another child is the secret to getting your kid to cooperate with picture-taking.Just like with Bella, I'm taking a photo of Graydon next to his bear each month. It will be fun to watch the progression of his growth. And of course, Bella wanted to get her picture taken with Graydon. I lost count of how many times she took the bear off the chair.

4 comments:

Jay Edgar said...

I don't know how you all take such great pictures! Do you have a live-in photographer? Bella's picture is even good--it's neat you're letting her get started that early.

I'm happy to hear everything is going so well!

I only have one question: When does the header of the blog get updated with Graydon's picture? :)

Stephanie said...

Cute!

Jill said...

adorable Karen! Bella looks like an awesome big sister!

mom said...

Like your new header. Graydon is growing so fast!!!!! He is such a cutie but than so is Bella.