Sunday, January 04, 2009

It's a BOY!!!

We are home from the hospital and enjoying life as a family of four! Here's a little recap of the day Graydon was born.

Before heading off to the hospital, we decided to take one last photo of the belly. Here I am on the morning of December 31st. 41 weeks pregnant.We arrived at the hospital around 5:20am. They immediately put us in a room and gave me a robe to change in to. Once I was settled in, I was given an IV and hooked up to a fetal monitor. I loved having that monitor. I could look over and see the baby's heartrate any time I wanted, which really helped me to relax - knowing that everything was fine in there. Shortly after 7am, Andy got changed into his scrubs.Around 7:45am, I walked with the nurses to the OR and got prepped for surgery. For whatever reason, it took a little while to administer my spinal. I knew that it had taken effect when I felt that warm wave rush down my legs. They laid me down, pulled the curtain up, and then brought Andy in. I got a little emotional at this point as it really hit me how close we were to the birth of our next child. A few minutes later, the doctor said that he could see the baby's right ear. Soon the head was out and I heard those first beautiful cries. After a big push on my belly, our little one was officially born. Within moments, I heard the doctors and Andy all saying, "It's a boy!" I was filled with so much joy and just started crying. There are some moments in life that are just monumental. You want to remember every last detail about them. That is how I feel about hearing each of my kids' first cries and learning if they were a boy or girl. I wouldn't trade these moments and memories for anything.

Here's Graydon! 7 lbs. 1 oz. and 20 inches long. It's a good thing he had that extra week in there as he's still a peanut. I guess we just cook them little! The nurses took him and cleaned him up and then brought him over to me. I loved looking at this sweet face for the first time.Andy went with Graydon to the nursery while I stayed back and got stitched up. The anesthesiologist administered some sort of sedative to me that brought me into a very relaxing dream-like state while the doctors worked on me. I remember being able to hear their conversation but also drifting off into la la land. This did give me some much needed rest. Soon enough, I was able to go to the recovery room. After being there for a few minutes, they brought Graydon to me! Being with my baby in recovery was such a new experience for me as Bella had to go straight to the NICU. I got to hold Graydon right away and tried to nurse him. He ended up being too sleepy during that time so we tried again later. They have me all bundled up here as my body temp dropped down to 94. Andy eventually had to take Graydon from me as my low body temp. was starting to bring his down. Once my body temp reached 97.1, I was able to go to the Mother/Baby room where we stayed for the rest of our time at the hospital. After being settled in for a bit, Andy went to pick up Auntie Kristen and Bella so they could meet Graydon. While they were gone, I was treated to a half hour massage. It was heavenly! The first photo of our new family of four!!!Me and my kidS! I have KIDS! Plural! I love saying 'my kids.' Bella got this new t-shirt from her baby brother. After my surgery, I was on a liquid diet for 24 hours. Bella thought my italian ice looked pretty good.She saved the JELL-O for me. It's been fun to watch Bella's interactions with her little brother. At first, she was a little timid around him - not too sure if she wanted to hold him or give him a kiss. But after a short while, she forgot all of that. Now, she likes to hold him as often as she can and even gets a little territorial - not wanting to share him with others. I'm looking forward to watching their relationship grow over time. My Loves!A few more of Graydon at the hospital:I woke up on Friday morning feeling pretty emotional. The previous night had been a rough one for me. I was in a lot of pain and feeling a bit overwhelmed. I think that some of the postpartum hormones were starting to kick in as well - making every emotion a bit amplified. Andy got a call that Bella was not doing well at home, so he had to leave. I cried a little when he left and just really wished that my mom could be out here. Later that afternoon when Andy returned to the hospital, he asked if I was up for a couple of visitors. Right behind him was my sister Lori and my mom. Words can't express how happy I was to see them. I started crying again. This was the best gift. They already had to leave today; but they were here for exactly the time that I needed them most. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos from their visit on my camera. I'll have to get them from Lori.

On Friday evening, Graydon and I got to go home! I was so ready to leave the hospital. Here's Graydon getting dressed for the first time. He wore the Jelly Belly socks that Andy bought last month (in honor of his nickname).Strapped in and ready to go!Our first few days at home have been going well. Graydon is a pretty good baby. In his short life so far, we have learned a few things about this little boy:
1. He hates getting his diaper changed. You will hear the most traumatic, shrill cry ever during each change.
2. He's a great pooper. On Day 2, they hoped to see 2 wet diapers and 2 poopy ones. I'd say that he easily had at least 7 poopy diapers on Day 2.
3. He loves to eat. I think he'd be content to eat 24/7.

A few times today, I had a moment of panic when I realized that I haven't felt the baby move in a while. The panic would last just a split second as I remembered that I'm not pregnant anymore. Guess I got so used to being pregnant that it feels weird not to be. I'm just so grateful that Graydon is here and is healthy!

8 comments:

Jill said...

Karen, Andy and Bella - congratulations!!! Graydon is beautiful! I love the name! Your blog made me cry - especially the part when you said your mom and sister showed up. How perfect! All the best to you and I can't wait to meet him! p.s. how did you manage to get a massage?! I may have to switch hospitals the next time around! LOL

The Josephs Family said...

Congratulations!!

Sounds like your delivery went well, which is such a blessing. Mr. Graydon is absolutely beautiful and a wonderful addition to your family.
How great is it that your mom and sisters were able to be there for such a wonderful time in your lives! Just like Jill, I cried too when I read that they surprised you with a visit!

Congratulations again, I can't wait to watch him grow on your blog!!

Kurt and Jenn said...

Congratulations to all of the Kilps! We love and miss you so much and wish we could see you more. We hope to be able to visit sometime this year! We are moving to the Madison area and would love to see you all anytime you come back to Wisconsin although I know you have tons of people to see here as well. I love the name Graydon it's awesome, and what a great big sister Bella already is. Makes me want another!! I just can't express how much I miss my Kare-bear, I wish we could be closer, until we can be always know I love and pray for you all the time. Love, Jenny Q

Mom said...

Both Lori and I wish we could have stayed longer. I am so glad we were able to surprise you and meet Graydon. God really knows when to send people in our lives when we need them. Can't wait to see all of you again.

The Zastrow's said...

Karen, you have a beautiful family! I love the pictures of Graydon, especially the one of him yawning in the hospital, so precious. Please tell Andy hi for Adam and I and we'll be praying for a fast recovering. And also a fun time adjusting to the new little one! Love you and love reading your blog! Thanks, Claire

Anonymous said...

the picture of Bella and Graydon is just precious!!! it is so sweet....and i can't believe you have "kids" either...it's so weird. But i'm thankful he's here and he's healthy!! Hopefully i can make it out there soon!!!

love auntie mary

Barbara said...

Congratulations! A wonderful boy!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! He is adorable.