Thursday, May 21, 2009

Has my daughter been brushing up on her Bible knowledge?

Jesus told them a story showing that it was necessary for them to pray consistently and never quit. He said, "There was once a judge in some city who never gave God a thought and cared nothing for people. A widow in that city kept after him: 'My rights are being violated. Protect me!'

"He never gave her the time of day. But after this went on and on he said to himself, 'I care nothing what God thinks, even less what people think. But because this widow won't quit badgering me, I'd better do something and see that she gets justice—otherwise I'm going to end up beaten black-and-blue by her pounding.'"


Luke 18:2-5 (The Message)

This scenario was played out in our house this week only I was the judge and Bella was the widow. There was quite a bit of badgering going on. No rights were being violated. . . but one little girl was was fighting for her right to play at the park.

It was my own fault. I mentioned the "P" word. Only I meant it as a verb - like "after we park the van." The context of the word clearly didn't matter to Bella. Once she heard it there was no turning back.

"Can we go to the park?"
"After we have lunch, are we going to the park?"
"Is it time to go to the park now?"
"Graydon can come to the park with us."

And my favorite:
"Mom, I have an idea. I ask if we can go to the park and you say 'yes'. Isn't that a good idea?"

I finally gave in. Persistence pays off.
Look who's taking his paci!!! After months of spitting it out as soon as I'd put it in. . . or even worse, screaming even harder because I had the nerve to offer it in the first place, the little man is finally seeing the light. I confess that I'm probably abusing the paci right now. I am just enjoying how simple it has made life lately (and I'm secretly afraid that if I don't offer it enough, he's going to lose his paci-taking ability).Here's proof that it's not constantly in his mouth. In addition to the paci, Graydon has found other things to latch on to. Taking after big sister with this one. The photo doesn't do this moment justice. Graydon seemed to think there'd be milk involved with this by the way he was going at it.
Three days from now, we'll be on the road. Wisconsin here we come!!!

No comments: