Sunday, August 02, 2009

Little Reminders

A rush of gratitude filled me as I stood there in the laundry room. I was folding diapers like I do oh so often; only, in this moment, this mundane task transformed from something that I have to do into something that I get to do. The reason that I have diapers to fold is because there is a little boy in this house whose little bum needs them. In that moment, my heart bursted with joy at the thought of my children. And that inspired me. I put on a new lens as I walked through the house after that and looked past what I saw to what it represented: the two little blessings who live here.

Walk with me.

Here’s an outlet right by the kitchen table - covered so that little hands won’t mess with it.
The refrigerator turned art gallery.
Moving on to the living room, handprints cover the TV. Although it doesn’t look it, believe me, I do actually clean that thing.
Then there’s the leftovers from Bella’s “nest” behind the couch.The stool in the bathroom since Bella can’t reach the sink without it.Sidewalk chalk all over the porch.Sippy cup on a plastic picnic table.And the diapers that started it all.What was once viewed as a mess - or clutter - something that needed to be cleaned - or something that was just overlooked altogether became little reminders of the two little blessings we call Bella and Graydon. We are so thankful for them and the little evidences of their presence that they leave behind.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above." James 1:17

2 comments:

The Josephs Family said...

Aw! What a wonderful post! Makes me want to reflect on how blessed I am to have my husband and daughter. While we're trying for a second and haven't had any luck, I know that I am blessed beyond belief to have what I have now! Thanks Karen!

Kurt and Jenn said...

thanks Karen