Monday, July 05, 2010

The Big Day

The photo below is the last one from my pregnancy with Curtis. It was taken about one hour after my water broke. It was Sunday evening. Our c-section was scheduled for 7:30am the next morning. I hadn't quite finished packing for the hospital but I wanted to be sure the kids had baths as we headed into the birth of our baby. While wrestling with Graydon to get him dressed, I sensed a slight "pop". I can't remember if I thought much of it at the time. Later on while rocking with Graydon, I felt some increased cramping which finally had me wondering if something had happened. When I went downstairs (sorry if it's TMI), the leaking started. I told Andy and my Mom and then made a quick call to the doctor. While there was no need to rush, he did say to get to the hospital soon. After taking a quick shower and packing the rest of our bags, Andy and I were off to the hospital!!!

We entered through the ER and were immediately taken to the Maternity Ward where I changed into a gown and got hooked up to all kinds of things. The resident was a bit concerned that baby's heartrate was on the lower end (110s). Her concern subsided after some time and it looked like we'd be waiting it out until 7:30am. Upon hearing this news, Andy decided to get his pillow from the car and to find a vending machine for some snacks. While he was gone, I started having more contractions, one that lasted for several minutes and again brought concern to the resident in charge as baby's heart rate got erratic. After that, she decided that while the baby is still healthy and there are no complications, it would be best to just get him or her out.

Things started to move pretty quickly after that. The anesthesiologist came by to introduce himself. He said we'd be ready to go in just a few minutes. Panic set in for me at this point because Andy was still gone (apparently there were vending machine issues). Thankfully a quick call to his cell phone got him back to the room within minutes. Before long, I was off to the OR to get prepped for surgery while Andy was off to the recovery room to get dressed in his scrubs. While getting prepped, I experienced a range of emotions from excitement to slight anxiety (I'm about to have surgery). Andy arrived just as the initial cut was made. I felt lots of tugging and pressure, but no pain. My perception of time is probably a little off here, but I think it took about 10 minutes and then his head was out. The next thing I heard was. . .

It's a BOY!!! They brought him over to the side so I could see him - all goopy and gross. . . and BEAUTIFUL!

Born at 2:40 am on June 28, 2010. 8 pounds even! 21 inches long.They cleaned him up and kept him in the OR with me. Both Bella and Graydon were taken away while I got stitched up, so this was a new, and very welcome experience for me. Andy was by my side, holding Curtis and talking with the anesthesiologist. About a half hour later, I was sewn back together and ready to go to recovery.

Andy and Curtis came too. This was the first time I got to hold Curtis. He is about an hour old here.I stayed in recovery for an hour and then was brought to my new home (for the next few days) in the Mother/Baby unit. It was at least 4:30am by this point and I hadn't slept yet. I remember my eyes forcibly closing on me and had to get some rest. The three of us slept until about 7 am when Curtis got a little hungry. I probably nodded in and out for the next few hours.

Later in the morning, my mom, Bella, and Graydon came to meet Curtis.Bella tried to hide her disappointment that her new brother wasn't a new sister, but she did warm up to him pretty quickly. (More about this to come).Graydon was surprisingly cautious and could sense that he needed to be "gentle" with this new, little person. I was a bit concerned about Graydon's "Big Brother" t-shirt being too big. I couldn't find a size smaller than 2T. I should have paid closer attention to the shorts, however, as they were also too big. While all the focus was on Curtis, I looked over at Graydon and this is what I saw.He was completely unphased as the buttons on the bed were much more intriguing.

Graydon was kind of a bull in a china shop in this tiny hospital room. He kept trying to pull the IV wires out of my arm, almost unplugged my monitors, spilled water, juice, etc., and called the nurse while playing with some buttons.

But he was such a proud big brother.I spent the next few days in the hospital, healing from the surgery and bonding with my new little guy. Thursday morning came and we were all ready to go home! Car seats inspected. Check. Let's go!!!We've been home for four days now. So far, I'm finding the transition from two to three kids to be easier than going from one to two. It helped so much having my mom here (she left yesterday). Today was my first day on my own. It's not over yet, but has gone pretty well so far. I seem to have entered that weepy post-partum stage where I cry over every little thing; but overall I feel so thankful and blessed for this wonderful family that God has given to me.

5 comments:

Kreuser Family said...

Gosh you and Andy made 3 beauties! I love hearing about the birth days of new babies! What an exciting day! Now, many more excitement to come with the 3 kidos of yours!

Anonymous said...

Great birth story! You look AMAZING for just giving birth! Congratulations to you and your family!

The Josephs Family said...

Congratulations! Wasn't it a bit exciting to know that Curtis actually "picked" his birthday rather than just rolling in for the c-section, even though it ended up being the same day? :) Curtis sure is a cutie, just like his big brother and sister!

Josh Golackson said...

Andy you're lucky you had your cell phone on you. I can just picture you sitting watching some infomercials and snacking on some chips while your wife was giving birth. You would have never lived that one down :)

And we agree that going from 2-3 was much easier than going from 1-2. After 3 life is just a complete blur and you don't even have the mental capacity to remember the 1-2 and 2-3 stage. But it's all worth it and as crazy as they drive us they are great blessings from the Lord!!

Way to go guys!

Mary said...

LOL..Graydon is funny!!

See you guys in a month :))