Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Happy Birthday Bella!

I'm feeling pretty sentimental about Bella turning five.  It seems like such a big age.  My mind keeps jumping back to five years ago at this time as we prepared to welcome our first baby into the world.  There was so much excitement and anxiety and love and fear and awe at the wonder of this new life.  And here she is, turning five. 

I feel like this past year has been a preparation in letting go.  It seems so silly to think this way as she is still so young.  But really, from the moment babies are born, their lives seem to be a series of letting go.  The first one is just cutting the cord.  But it moves on from there to crawling and then walking.  Going to preschool.  Going to the the movies with another family - without us!  All of these are little things, and yet big at the same time.  Bella will be starting kindergarten next fall.  That's a huge step in my mind.  I feel like time is really gonna start to fly once it is measured in school years.

So I'm a little emotional today.  Sometimes I wish I could make time stand still.  But the fact that it doesn't is probably what makes this time in life so special.  Bella is healthy and happy and growing up into such a sweet girl.  Everything is as it should be and I am so thankful for it.

Bella is so excited about turning five and I am excited for her!  We have a fun birthday planned complete with a little family getaway to Connecticut.  It's time to celebrate!  


3 comments:

auntie mary said...

Happy Birthday Bella!! I hope you have a great day!

Mom Debbie said...

Karen, your videos make me cry every year. I too wish time could stand still a little longer. Miss all of you. Still hate my pictures!!!! Glad you only posted a few!!!

Kreuser Family said...

Ava and I tried calling on Bella's birthday but we understand the business in the Kilps' household.

Hope you guys are having a blast on your trip! It sounds like so much fun!

Happy Birthday Bella! We love you SO much! Can't believe you're five already!

Can't wait to see you all soon! Yay!