Thursday, December 09, 2010

We'll miss you Grandpa Jim

My Grandpa went home to heaven this morning.  We're feeling sad today.  The photo above was from his 80th birthday celebration a few months ago. 

Grandpa's health hasn't been the greatest these past few years.  He had a heart attack almost eight years ago and that just seemed to be the beginning of his heart and other health problems.  Today was the day when his body just got too tired.

One significant memory that I have of my grandpa was on my 14th birthday.  That day also happened to be my Grandma and his 40th wedding anniversary.  We had a party over at their house that day and my fourteen-year-old self was sulking over the fact that my birthday was kind of being overlooked.  When we got to their house, the first thing he said to me was "Happy Birthday Karen!"  It was simple, but it meant a lot to me. 

Grandpa Jim was my mom's dad.  This is one of my favorite photos of the two of them.

And here is one from the summer of 2006 of Great-Grandpa Jim (G-Pa) with baby Bella.
Grandpa used to smoke cigars.  I love the smell of cigars because of him.  It always reminded me of good times at my grandparent's house.  He hasn't smoked one in a long time, but whenever I smell a cigar, I always think of Grandpa Jim.  

***Edited to add Grandpa's Obituary.  I thought this was nicely written and wanted to include it here.

James P. Brockhaus, age 80, of Kenosha died on Thursday, December 9, 2010 at Brookside Care Center.

Born in Kenosha on October 13, 1930, he was the son of the late Elmer and Madeline (Wallig) Brockhaus. Jim was a lifelong resident of Kenosha and attended local schools.

Jim served our country for three years in the US Army with the military police during the Korean War and was honorably discharged in 1953.

Helen Kisielweski became his bride when they married at St Casimir's Catholic Church in Kenosha on August 21, 1954. They were blessed with 56 years together and four wonderful children.

Jim was on the Kenosha Fire Department for five years and then became manager at Kelsey Welding which later was named AGA Gas, retiring after 35 years at the welding supply company.

He was a member at St. Mary's Catholic Church and was active in various Catholic organizations. Jim loved a good cigar and it became his trademark. He enjoyed sports, playing golf, rooting for the Packers and Cubs and working crossword puzzles in his spare time.

Left to comfort one another with loving memories of Jim are his wife, Helen; his children, Debbie (Mike) Benetti of Kenosha, Jake (Sharrie) Brockhaus of Norwalk, WI; Cindy (David) Bundy of Bristol, WI and Maria Brockhaus of Winston-Salem, NC; his 10 grandchildren, Jeff (Stephanie) Benetti, Mary Benetti, Karen (Andy) Kilps, Scott Benetti, Kristen Benetti, Jodi (Aaron) Kreuser, Lori Benetti, Bridget Brockhaus, Matt Brockhaus and Melania Bundy along with 6 great grandchildren. He is further survived by his brother-in-law, Bob Kisielewski of AZ, his brother, Jerry (Diane) Brockhaus of FL and his faithful canine companions, Emma and Louis.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his brother Frederick in infancy.

Memorial remembrances to Fellow Mortal-Wildlife Rehabilitation, W4632 Palmer Road, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin 53147, or St. Mary's Catholic Church would be appreciated by the family.

3 comments:

Jay Edgar said...

My condolences to your family. I'm sorry to hear it.

Mary said...

Yes, me too!! he will be sadly missed.

Debbie said...

It's been 15 months now and I cry when ever I read this.