Monday, September 09, 2013

Nature Walks

Andy and I sometimes joke that one can take a nice walk in New Jersey - you just have to drive to get there!

And so we did. There are a few hidden nature trails around us and we decided to take advantage of a couple of them.






Bella came prepared for some exploration. 


Curtis kept complaining of things getting in his shoes, so he rode like this for a while. 


Andy found some mushrooms growing on a branch.







It was at about this point that Bella started to lose interest.  She wasn't super enthusiastic about this nature walk in the first place since she was hoping we'd be spending the afternoon at the pool instead.  I think that some branches brushed against some old mosquito bites, causing her to get itchy.  Her mood wasn't the best for the next ten minutes or so.


She asked me to take her picture.  But this was the best smile she could come up with. 




There were caterpillars everywhere in this area!



And then something glorious happened.

We found water.




Andy did a little rock skipping lesson with the kids. 



Bella caught on quickly and was skipping rocks right away. 



I tried and tried and almost gave up until Andy showed me the right way to curve my finger around the stone.  Soon I was skipping rocks too!


Curtis needed to be banished off to the side.  He liked to throw his rocks while standing several feet from the water; often times coming dangerously close to hitting someone.  He did hit Graydon once. 


I don't know how he does it.  Graydon purposefully took off his shoes.  He was even running on the rocks at one point.  Those are some tough feet. 


And what do you know. . . Bella got her water after all. 




A couple of days later, we tried a different spot.  No pictures taken except this one from my phone.


But I did pick some wildflowers to remind me of our day and bring a little of the nature to our house with us. 


And while I'm trying to hold onto every last bit of summer, there are little reminders all around that fall is just around the corner. 

No comments: