Sunday, September 17, 2017

My birthday and beyond. . .

When we were up in Wisconsin for Lori's wedding, Bella and Auntie Kristen stole some time to go paddle boarding. Bella caught on pretty quickly.
IMG_3253

Breakfast with the fam on the morning of my birthday. Being with them on my birthday is a rare event, so this was a special treat for me.
IMG_3259

My birthday also happened to be the day of the solar eclipse. We tried to catch it on our trek from Wisconsin back to Indiana. We didn't buy the sunglasses, so we tried to not look directly at the sun. Instead, I took pics with my phone. I continued to be disappointed that we couldn't see anything. After the fact and feeling pretty bummed, I looked back at the pics and, instead of looking at the sun, I looked below and there was a little reflection.
IMG_3265

That little crescent wasn't in the sky, but my phone camera must have caught what my eyes couldn't see.
IMG_3271

So, I guess we kind of saw the eclipse. Apparently, there's supposed to be another one in seven years. Maybe we'll get a better view of that one.
IMG_3274

Andy spotted this huge moth on our porch light. We brought out a ruler and its wing span measured six inches! We've never seen one that big before.
IMG_3280

Bella had to draw a map of our neighborhood for a school assignment. I think she did a great job!
IMG_3284

Not the greatest photo of me, but look at that little ham!
IMG_3285

Since my actual birthday consisted of mostly travel, we went out to dinner at The Cheesecake Factory that following Saturday night. And we splurged with appetizers, drinks, and cheesecake for dessert.
IMG_3307

Bella made me this candle holder. There is a battery-powered candle inside. She is so sweet and thoughtful.
IMG_3360

We went out with some friends to a winery one night. It was the winery's anniversary. There was food, live music, and free wine tasting. Plus, the weather was perfect. And Bella was our babysitter! We're starting to leave her in charge from time to time and it is awesome.
IMG_1226

The following night, some friends hosted their annual movie night on the barn. We watched 'Sing' - Graydon's absolute favorite movie these days.
IMG_3387

The Kilps family has a new golf cart! This is something that Andy has wanted for several years and I finally caved. Each of the kids contributed in its purchase and everyone is having a lot of fun with it. So far, I think I'm the only one who hasn't driven it!
IMG_1239

IMG_1238

Even Salty is enjoying it.
IMG_3438

Curtis is a tough one to get up in the morning. And just as he rolls out of his bed, he makes his way across the hall to ours. But, if you'd ask him, he'd say, "I'm up!"
IMG_3405

Graydon and I spent some one-on-one time together last Saturday morning. We started off with shopping. He was looking for a specific toy that we didn't find in the three stores that we visited. Afterwards, we went to lunch at the restaurant of his choice: White Castle. This was the first time for both of us. I was a little grossed out, but Graydon loved it. He wanted to go bowling after lunch but when we arrived at the bowling alley, we discovered that there was a tournament going on all day and there weren't any available lanes. Graydon was really disappointed. I needed to think of something fast. I prayed and then turned to google and found this park in Columbus that we had never discovered before.
IMG_3410

Our family watches American Ninja Warrior a lot - the boys are really in to it. This was like a ninja warrior park!
IMG_3411

IMG_3412

IMG_3413

He declared it to be as good as bowling.
IMG_3415

Curtis wrote a sermon on the magna doodle. Some of his theological thoughts were hard for him to spell, but I have a video of him giving us his sermon.
IMG_3434

Then Graydon wanted to share a prayer that he wrote in his journal several months ago.
IMG_3436

I was pretty moved by both of their words. They are both developing a strong faith.

Curtis calls this outfit his 'fancy outfit'. He came out one day dressed almost exactly the same as Andy. He has also expressed a desire to attend some church meetings. Whenever he does something church related, this is the outfit he puts on.
IMG_1264

Yesterday, Hope hosted its annual Hope Ride. Bella participated by riding in a group from school. She was up bright and early for a Saturday.
IMG_3455

IMG_3456

Her group rode for 13 miles. There were also 25, 50, and 100 mile routes. They were finished up a little after 10am and were treated to a delicious lunch on the Hope square.
IMG_3457

I made almond milk!
IMG_3459

No comments: