Monday, November 07, 2005

Childbirth Prep Class

We had our childbirth prep class this weekend: Friday night from 6-9pm and Saturday from 9am-3pm. Overall, it was pretty informative and we both feel a lot more confident in what to expect when our time arrives. We learned some breathing techniques, saw some of the equipment that will be used at the hospital, went over what to expect when labor begins and the different stages, and toured the labor and delivery unit at the hospital. I'm glad that we took this class.

One of the exercises the nurse had us do (husbands too) was squeeze an ice cube in our hands for a minute while trying to focus on our breathing instead of the pain from the ice cube. I didn't do too well with this exercise. The minute went fast and I focused on my breathing, but it was hard to get my mind off the pain in my hand from that ice. I guess I have a lot of practice to do!

It was great to get a tour of the hospital because it helped us to somewhat imagine what our experience is going to be like. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that, in addition to ice chips, there are sno-cones available for women in labor. I think I might enjoy that. We also saw some of the newborn babies. All of this helped to bring everything into reality for us a little bit. Pretty soon, it will be us in the hospital and that newborn will be ours! Our level of excitement and anticipation has definitely increased after this weekend.


No comments: