The dr. appointment was just a regular check-up. I was around 38 weeks pregnant and had weekly visits with my doctor. Thus far, my pregnancy had been very routine and uneventful. That all changed when the nurse practitioner had a difficult time getting a good heart rate from the baby. She had me move around to hopefully stir the baby who could possibly be sleeping. Checked again. Still low. Her rate had generally been in the 130’s throughout pregnancy and this day, it was in the 90’s, which indicated that she was in some sort of distress. The NP suggested that we get to the hospital to further determine what we should do. Apparently, we needed to get there fast because they called for an ambulance. Thankfully, I was not able to realize how serious the situation was or I may have freaked out. Through it all, I remained pretty calm and I can only attribute that to God’s peace coming over me. They checked me again at the hospital and Isabella’s heart rate was still beating erratically – sometimes normal and sometimes really low. They didn’t know what was causing the instability but determined that it would be safer to get the baby out. Everything happened so fast and was such a whirlwind. At first, I just thought that they were going to induce me. (I know that sounds silly now, given the seriousness of the situation – but again – it all just happened so fast). I don’t remember exactly how I found out about the c-section, but my main concern was that I could be awake and that Andy could be present – both of which were possible. They wheeled me into the OR and administered the anesthesia almost right away. Andy arrived, all dressed in his scrubs, right as they began to make the incision. Just a few moments later (6:52pm Eastern time), I heard the most beautiful sound – our baby’s first cries. I couldn’t believe that our baby was here. And when the doctor announced that we had a baby girl – tears just filled my eyes. I’ll never forget that moment. Since her heart rate was still erratic even after her birth, they had to take Isabella to the NICU. I only got to see her for a few moments and didn’t get to hold her until the next day. That was hard. Andy took pictures of her with a digital camera, so at least I could look at her after they stitched me up.
As any parent can attest, the times goes so fast? This was already one year ago! Sometimes it does feel like a while back and sometimes it feels like just yesterday. I get a little sentimental as I think of that precious, tiny newborn. I miss being able to put Isabella between us in bed after her early morning feeding. She would never lay still now. I miss her falling asleep easily in my arms. I always get sentimental when she grows out of clothes and I have to pack them away, knowing that she will never wear them again. At the same time, one of the most rewarding things is to see her learn new things and grow. I can’t express in words how proud I was when she rolled over for the first time or fed herself for the first time, or started babbling. She has many more milestones to reach and we will be right there with her, cheering her on. This past year has been such a gift and we are so looking forward to the years to come.

6 comments:
Happy birthday little Isabella! You are really wonderful and are the joy of mom and dad as Anita is for us.
Happy Birthday Isabella!!! I hope you have a great day! You are such a beautiful little girl!!! May god bless you and keep you always!!
Happy Birthday Isabella!
You sure have a BEAUTIFUL girl! We hope to be able to meet her sometime before she's all grown up. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ISABELLA!!! :)
It is hard to believe it has been a year. This site has helped us stay in touch with Bella's growing up. We feel we have been able to watch her grow even though we live to far away. Can't wait to celebrate her birthday when you come home for Christmas. Have a safe trip.
How precious to watch every video and slideshow of our sweet little granddaughter! Thank you for sharing her with us in this way. It helps narrow the distance. We can't wait to see all of you at Christmas. It will be the best present to have all of you (the whole fam)here for a few special days. Love to you!
Post a Comment