Thursday, August 16, 2018

The first week of school!

Whether we felt ready or not. . . the first day of school arrived on August 8th. We actually got an extra week of summer this year, which was a huge blessing as it gave us the opportunity to squeeze in that trip up to Wisconsin.

Curtis's first day of third grade! Teacher: Mrs. Swegman
DSC_0288_01

Graydon's first day of fourth grade.  Teacher: Mrs. Boilanger.
DSC_0295_01

Bella's first day of seventh grade. Teacher: Several!
DSC_0298_01

Three of my favorite people. I am SO thankful for them and for the amazing summer that we shared.
DSC_0307_01

DSC_0311_01

Bella's school literally rolled out the red carpet for the students.
DSC_0312_01

DSC_0313_01

DSC_0314_01

My hair was still wet and I wasn't planning on getting my picture taken. But the school counselor offered and I won't turn down an opportunity for a photo with my girl, or more appropriately, my young lady.
DSC_0316_01

Usually, I do first-day-of-school interviews after they get home on the first day, but I completely forgot. So, I did them on the second day. Better late than never.






Curtis had an assignment where he had to fill a lunch sack with objects that would help his class get to know him better. An object he chose was one of his many lego creations because he really enjoys to create and build. His one concern was it would fall apart in the bag and he wouldn't know how to put it back together. So, he had me take a photo of his creation from four different angles (I'm only including one of them here) so he could re-create it if needed. That communicated to me just how important these creations are to him and there is something to sweet about that.
IMG_6505

I'm not working at the school this year (though I plan to volunteer and hope to do an internship there in the coming semesters). Since I had the time, I finally got my hair cut! These days, I never really intend for my hair to grow so long, I just never get around to getting it cut. I like this shorter style on me right now.
IMG_6517

Curtis got invited for an evening swim on that first Friday evening after school started. It looks and sounded like they had a blast.
IMG_6524

I've been in a big home cleaning/organization kick since school started back up. One simple way to clean was to clear off the refrigerator. Graydon has shown a real interest in art these past few months and has made so many fun drawings that have been decorating the refrigerator for a while. It made me a little sad to part with them, but you can't save everything, right? Well, I did save a couple. But the rest I took pictures of. He's becoming such a good artist!
IMG_6529

IMG_6530

IMG_6531

IMG_6532

IMG_6533

Cleaning and organizing the garage was one of the first items on the agenda. It took about two full days to get this place cleaned out. We didn't take any before photos, but here is how it looks now. We've always been able to park both vehicles in the garage, so I guess it was never that bad. But the toys and tools were completely disorganized. The back right near the cupboard and door had sleds and tarps strewn about. There was evidence of mouse activity, which Salty usually takes care of for us, but I'm afraid our cat couldn't see and/or get to any mouse that was in that area. It was pretty gross. That beam on the right is our fireplace mantle. Eventually, we'll get that put up.
IMG_3130

We got this tool bench two years ago and it is finally functioning as more than a catch-all. We didn't have the peg board up, nothing was organized, and the work surface was covered in random grilling accessories, markers, bug spray, empty egg cartons, etc. It was a mess and stressed me out every time I looked at it. I would always feel so frustrated when I'd go to the garage in search of a hammer or some other tool and not be able to find it. Andy organized all of this and got rid of duplicates/tools that he wasn't going to use and it looks SO much better!
IMG_3131

I have now turned my attention to the inside of the house. I love the feeling of getting rid of things and lightening our load.

1 comment:

mcbenetti said...

When did the kids become so grown???