Our kitchen was definitely lacking something - a backsplash! After tons of Instagram reels and You Tube videos, I felt ready (sort of) to tackle this project. Here is the before. Not bad, but nothing special.
This was the tile we picked out. I love the herringbone pattern, but that felt too advanced for me. But we did like the slight variation in tile color and it coordinated nicely with our countertops.
The first step was removing the countertop trim because we wanted to tile all the way down to the counter.
Next, I patched up the drywall.
I rented a wet tile saw. I've never used one of these before, so I felt a little intimidated.
Tile is up, but no grout yet. I opted for white grout since this was my first time tiling and white felt more forgiving if I made any mistakes. The angle makes it hard to tell, but the tile stops where the cabinet stops. I debated on going all the way to the edge of where the countertop ended (on the left), but then there would be backsplash with no cabinet above it, and that didn't seem right. I think this was the right decision.
After! (Mostly, I still needed to paint over the drywall I patched; but you get the idea).
It's a subtle change, but adds character to the space.
The next thing we need to do here is add hardware to the cabinets and drawers. We'll get to it eventually.
No comments:
Post a Comment