Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Thirty-one

My birthday celebration actually began the previous evening.

Bella stayed up late. I went to bed early.

Bella and Andy tucked me in that night. Extra rest for me and an opportunity for them to make all of the birthday preparations: finish my cake, wrap presents, and put up decorations.

I woke up at 6am on my birthday morning, wide awake thanks to my early night. The house was still and quiet.

I watched the sun meet the sky.
Photobucket

And enjoyed the fruit of Andy and Bella's labor from the night before.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

While peace still filled the house, I sat and thought about this past year of my life. Ways I've grown. Areas I've been stretched. Lessons I'm learning. I am still very much a work in progress, but I like the person I am becoming. I am more and more comfortable in my own skin.  It fills me with anticipation about how much better of a person I hope to be in the years to come. And that makes me look forward to getting older - even if it does come with a few extra lines around my eyes.

Soon kids were up and the morning took off.

Church time.

Lunch time. Andy prepared everything. And cleaned it all up. I didn't have to lift a finger.

And then I got presents!!! They spoiled me. My big gift was a new camera lens and accessories to go with it. If that wasn't enough, I also have an hour massage at a local spa coming my way. Andy went all out this year. . . and I enjoyed every bit of it.

A bit of rain dampened some outdoor plans. But we still took a little family drive and I got my free Starbucks birthday drink.

We came home for dinner. Pizza. Yum!

Two of the three kids were contained, so it seemed the perfect opportunity to get a picture with them.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Perfectly imperfect, I guess. I sure do love those silly kids and all the craziness that comes along with them.

And finally. . . cake time!
Photobucket

Chocolate on chocolate. Could it get any better?
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love birthdays. They are a great way to celebrate the life of someone we love.

And on this day, I felt very celebrated. :)

2 comments:

Laura Jane said...

Beautifully done, beautifully written Karen. I so feel like we are in the same place in life...your thoughts could have been mine :) I am so glad that you got spoiled and lavished with birthday love! You are one beautiful person!!

Mary said...

sounds and looks like you had a great day!