Thursday, September 19, 2013

Back to school!

On Back-to-School Eve, we had our traditional Back-to-School dinner.


I meant to buy a fresh bouquet of flowers when I was at the grocery store, but forgot to add it to my list.  If things don't make my lists, then they don't happen.  I ended up picking some flowers from outside.  These red flowers paired up with the red candles and red ribbon on the vase sure made for a lot of RED at our table!




On the menu this evening was garlic chicken, baked potatoes (with sour cream, shredded cheddar, crumbled bacon, and chives for topping), and broccoli.  Apple crisp over vanilla ice cream was our dessert.

Bella was a little eager for school.  She was already showered and in her pajamas before dinner!





Soon is was off-to-bed for these kiddos.  The next day would be a big one!

As is usually the case on the first day of school, everyone was ready with at least a half hour to spare before we needed to be anywhere.  That just gives me plenty of time for pictures!



Curtis wanted his picture taken too - empty backpack and all!








Bella and I walked to the bus stop while Andy loaded the boys in "Black Beauty".


They met us at the bus stop for a little bit but ended up leaving before the bus came (it always runs late on the first day) in order to get Graydon to his school on time. 


Daddy wishing Bella a great first day. 


I watched her get on the bus.  Always hard for me on the first day. 


Then I got in the van and made my way to the school so that I could greet her when she got off. . .


. . . and meet her new teacher!


While I was at Bella's school, Andy was with Graydon at his preschool.  I was so sad that I couldn't be there to drop off Graydon too.  I still haven't figured out how to be in two places at once!  But it probably worked out better that Andy dropped him off as I think I would have been a bit too emotional about it.  And Andy kept me in touch by taking some photos with his phone. 






He is whistling while waiting for class to start.  That is so Graydon. 


Finding his job for the day: snack prayer. 


After the two big kids were safely dropped off at school, I met up with Andy.  It was just three of us now - kind of an unusual feeling.  We decided to get Curtis a little treat.  While walking into Starbucks, Curtis went between Andy and myself and grabbed for both of our hands.  He is often a bit more independent and doesn't like to hold hands.  But I think he knew it was special that he had the complete attention of both parents.

We treated him to "big boy coffee" a.k.a. hot chocolate.  


Afterwards, he said he was hungry.  I would never usually spend $1.50 on something that could be eaten in one bite, but I told him he could pick any treat that he wanted.  This was it.  A yellow cake pop.


Here are the kids' thoughts of this first day of school.




3 comments:

Kreuser Family said...

Beautiful blog post! Magazine worthy!!! :D Best Mom EVER!!

Bella's teacher has arms of a body builder! I could only dream to have arms that cut.

Heather said...

Greetings Kilps family! I hope everyone is enjoying school! I'm Heather and I was hoping you would be able to answer a question about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!

mary said...

For some reason graydons video said it was private. I had to laugh that curtis wants to be a man! Lol