Wednesday, February 28, 2007

15 month doctor appointment

We took Isabella to the doctor today for her well visit. Here are the new stats:
Weight: 22 lbs. 4 oz. (55%)
Height: 31.5 in. (90%)
Head: 18.5 in. (90%)

Everything still looks good. She had to get two shots this time which is never fun, but she calmed down relatively fast. I did express a little concern to our doctor about Isabella's lack of words at this point. Isabella jibber jabbers all of the time. She often appears to be having conversations with people, changing the tone and inflection of her voice, using gestures, etc., we just don't understand what she's saying. She'll say 'ma ma' and 'da da' but I'm not sure she has associated those words with us since she will say them to us but also out of nowhere when she's playing. I know that she understands us because she responds to what we're saying and does what we ask her to do (most of the time). She points to everything, which is generally how we determine what she wants. She shakes her head no or pushes something away when she doesn't want it. Sometimes, when I ask her what a duckie says, she'll say "ca ca", which is the closest she can get to quack quack. But, she only does that about 50% of the time.

I guess I figured that she would have more words by now or that I would have at least noticed some associations. I suppose it is possible that she has made some associations that I haven't picked up on yet. Our doctor didn't seem too concerned about this. Isabella was very 'conversational' with her, so she thinks it's just a matter of time before the words come. I'm not worried or stressed about this, but I'm also curious if this is OK or if she's starting to fall behind a little. I guess this is the mom in me just wanting to be totally sure that my little one is on track.

Here's a tub picture from last night. Isabella really loves to stick the foam letters on the bath wall.

. . . and some more scrapbook pages. . .

2 comments:

bratschfamily said...

Karen, I wouldn't be too concerned. I worked in early childhood for 6 years and have found that there really are a lot of toddlers at this age who don't talk much. One thing you could try doing is intruducing some sign language (if you havn't already). It is a great way to see that she does have the language, even if she can't vocalize much yet, sometimes it can even help children to form some words that you work on often (like please, more, thank you, etc.). I hope this is helpful, Isabella is such a beautiful, happy girl!

-Jess

Elizabeth said...

I wouldn't be concerned either, and the idea that Jess gave about sign language is a good idea. I taught Gabriel the sign for milk, more, eat, and all done. The only one to really catch on and stick was the all done sign. It has helped a lot in knowing when he's done eating or just not liking the enviroment that he's in. (He gives me the all done sign everyday when I pick him up from daycare or when I'm giving him nasty medicines for his cold). She sounds like she's jabbering a lot more than my son is. He's very quiet, which concerns me too. It also, unfortunately, concerns my doctor too, so we are getting his hearing tested this month. We'll see how that turns out. I hope it will be okay. He is starting to say new things, so maybe he is just a late bloomer! Good luck and don't worry. Sounds like she's doing great! She is such an adorable little girl!!!